Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Split Pea Soup

This is a most nutritious dish. My kids loved it, especially my son who loves peas.  I would make a few modifications and will include those.

2 T olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, finely chopped
2 large stalks celery, finely chopped
(1 clove, minced garlic) ** not included in recipe, but I think would add some more flavor
1 lb dried green peas, rinsed and picked over
8 cups broth (any kind will work)
1/2 t. thyme ( I used Penzey's Tuscan Sunset b/c I do not care for thyme.)
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper (I used 1 t. all purpose seasoning, recipe found earlier in blog)

**You can also add some lentils for added protein. I used about 1/2 peas and 1/2 lentils b/c I didn't have enough peas. Oops.  However, it was just as delicious.

Warm olive oil in a large, heavy pot over medium heat. Do not heat any higher than medium. Add onion, carrot, celery, and garlic. Cook covered for 10 min. Stir occasionally.

Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally until peas are soft. About 40-50 minutes.

Puree soup in blender in small batches. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment